On 28-30 May, Rikolto organised a 3-day workshop to design a new participatory guarantee system (PGS) for safe vegetables in Ha Nam province, marking the first step in the creation of the brand new PGS Ha Nam.
PGS is a low-cost quality assurance mechanism that guarantees the quality of safe agricultural products and has the potential to regain consumers’ trust. In a context where smallholder farmers are struggling to obtain certifications for their safe vegetable production, PGS has the potential to create new market opportunities for smallholder farmers and to ultimately increase their income. On the other hand, PGS enables greater transparency, traceability and a closer relationship between farmers, consumers, and authorities, thus contributing to improved trust in the value chain. This inception workshop had five main purposes:
- To teach new PGS stakeholders about the PGS development process
- To identify the most appropriate structures of the new PGS Ha Nam
- To determine the conditions for stakeholders’ participation in the PGS
- To agree on the general framework for PGS Ha Nam’s regulations
- To test Rikolto’s new training curriculum for the development of PGS