In December 2016, 29 farmers from LUSOTEC successfully passed the external audit required for the renewal of their UTZ certificate. Compliance with this international standard guarantees the sustainable production of their tea and creates new opportunities for the farmers
The UTZ certificate is a globally recognized standard, ensuring that farmers farm more effectively, protect their environment, and ensure good working conditions for their workers.
In December 2016, a group of farmers from LUSOTEC underwent the UTZ audit for the second year in a row with the hope to see this precious label renewed. UTZ’s positive feedback means that sustainable production and natural resource management practices have been well adopted by the farmers. In order to renew their certification, the farmers had to meet a wide range of criteria, amongst which:
- Regular tea quality control such as leaf counts, conducted when leaves are delivered to the processing unit;
- Implementation of measures to prevent contamination of tea during storage and processing;
- Exclusive usage of clean water during processing;
- Treatment of the factory’s wastewater to prevent contamination of natural ecosystems;
- Steaming and panning of green leaves under optimum load, temperature, and time combination to ensure quality and sustainability.