Background: Rikolto is an international NGO with more than 40 years of experience in partnering with farmer organisations and food chain actors across Africa, Asia, Europe and Latin America. Rikolto runs programmes in 18 countries worldwide through 5 Sub-continental/Regional Offices.
The Vietnam Country Office is part of the Southeast Asia (SEA) Region and is located in Hanoi. Rikolto envisions a world with a sustainable income for farmers and nutritious, affordable food for everyone. We reach our goals by building bridges between smallholder farmer organisations, companies, authorities and other actors across rural and urban areas. Together, we create innovative ways of accessing, distributing and producing nutritious, quality food, so no one is left behind.
We are looking for a Vietnamese qualified and enthusiast professional for the position of Rice Programme Director. This incumbent will be based in the Rikolto Office in Vietnam.
Job Overview: The Rice Programme Director leads the Rice Programme in Vietnam and in SEA, covering Indonesia and Vietnam. He/she will: (i) lead the strategic reflection and planning of Rikolto strategies and programmes; (ii) ensure the efficient and effective implementation of programmes and projects; (iii) be responsible for Rikolto in Vietnam and SEA programme development and fundraising efforts and (iv) manage the Vietnam and SEA Rice Programme Team.
He/she will be a member of Rikolto’s Global Rice Programme Team together the Rice Programme Leads in Great Lakes Area and West Africa, led by the Global Rice Programme Director. He/she will also become a member of the SEA Management Team.
1. Strategy Development and Programme Design
- Contribute to the development of the global mission, vision, frameworks, value and strategies of Rikolto and of the Rice Programme;
- Develop SEA and Vietnam rice programme goals, strategy and programme, in collaboration with the Rice Programme Team;
- Coordinate the programme development and actively seeking new ideas and initiatives to expand the programme;
- Pro-active provide feedback and initiate solutions to improve the programme implementation.
2. Programme Management
- Lead the Rice Programme implementation in Vietnam and SEA;
- Actively connect and ensure coherence and promote synergy and collaboration with the different programmes in Vietnam and SEA;
- Together with the SEA Management Team, ensure shared resources are employed efficiently and supporting all the programmes;
- Regularly monitor, evaluate and report Rice Programme implementation. This includes drawing lessons learned to adjust and improve performance to achieve Vietnam and SEA programme goals and targets;
- Ensure that the Rice Programme Team take up their M&E responsibility and its use for learning, evidence building and accountability by coordinating and provide guidance and support to the Team members in the implementation of the programme, M&E system and strategies (Evidence for Impact, Inclusive Business, multistakeholder facilitation, etc.).
3. Team Management and Learning
- Motivate, advise and coach towards high performance of the Rice Programme and Team members as well as give regular feedback and discuss a growth plan for the Team;
- Together with the SEA Management Team, ensure all staff (programme and support) wellbeing;
- Facilitate learning dynamics within and between programmes in Vietnam and SEA to enhance synergy and complementarities;
- Ensure two ways communication between the SEA Rice Programme Team and the Global Rice Programme Team with respect to decisions, context and resources.
4. Operations and Budgeting
- Support Global Rice Programme Director to prepare and monitor the 5-year global financial ambition;
- Lead the preparation of programme and partner budget and forecast and monitor the budget use, with the support of the Vietnam and SEA Operations Managers;
- Ensure the Operations (finance, HR, Administration) Policies are implemented consistently within the rice programme.
5. Networking and Fundraising/Communication
- Establish and nurture networking and positioning Rikolto in Vietnam and SEA;
- Lead the fundraising efforts including donor and partner intelligence and outreach relationship building and maintenance to achieve more impact;
- Co-design criteria to select proposals and review calls with support from the Global Rice Programme Director;
- Draft quality concept notes and proposals, including managing the consultant if any;
- Develop budget in concept notes and proposals with support from the Operations Manager;
- Ensure fundraising processes are taken up including updates in the fundraising information system;
- Provide the Communications team with ideas and information to increase Rikolto’s visibility in the rice sector in Vietnam and SEA.
Education & Experience:
- Master Degree in Development Management, Agriculture, Agronomy, Economics, Food Systems or Environmental Sciences and Business or equivalent;
- At least 7 years in development programme and organisational management, value chain development and food systems approach, and proven experience in the Rice Sector in Vietnam and SEA;
- Having leadership/senior management role and intercultural competence.
- Proven experience in strategy development, programme and organisational development and management;
- Excellent knowledge on finance and budgeting;
- Experienced in proposal and report writing;
- Excellent understanding of the regional and Vietnam rice sector and experienced in promoting regenerative agriculture, sustainability, inclusive business, youth inclusion and gender transformative approaches;
- Experienced in (multi) stakeholder engagement and facilitation including farmer organisations, government, private actors, multi-stakeholder platforms, etc.;
- Strong analytical skills and ability for inclusive problem solving;
- Good communication skills and ability to adapt to various context and setting (including local, regional, international);
- Ability to motivate, coach and manage team dynamics;
- Excellent command of Vietnamese and English (in reading, speaking, understanding and writing).
For more details, please find attached JD.
How to apply?
Please send your motivation letter and recent curriculum vitae with at least three referees in English before 27 September 2022 by email to: Rikolto in Vietnam Country Office, House No.4, 249A Thuy Khue Compound, Thuy Khue, Tay Ho, Hanoi. Email: vietnam [at] rikolto.org.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Discover more about Rikolto Global Rice Programme in our website: https://www.rikolto.org/en/sustainable-rice-all